It is cold season, and cold can be really annoying right? Everyone just wants for that ‘suffering’ to end, and luckily there is a way to speed up that process. You can speed up the recovery from cold and even protect yourself in the future from cold with following some advices.
1. To avoid getting cold you will need to avoid catching cold germs so because of that you need to have a well-balanced diet and to exercise regularly. You should also regularly and properly start washing your hand and remember to avoid contact with people that are coughing, sneezing and wheezing.
Take in extra liquids
2. You should increase your liquid intake. For example you should start drinking beverages like herbal tea. You need to drink a lot of water because that way you will be well-hydrated and that will keep your throat in a better condition. Drinking water or warm beverages will also reduce the risk of ear or lung infections because they thin mucus. But there are beverages that instead of keeping you well-hydrated, they are doing the opposite of that – they can lead to dehydration. Those kinds of beverages are caffeinated and alcoholic drinks.
Take supplements… but not too seriously
3. You should not be taking supplements seriously, especially if the cold is in its advanced stages. This means that you should take supplements at the very beginning of the cold, but different studies proved different results so there is no actual proof here. The question ‘’whether supplements like vitamin C, zinc, Echinacea, and more are helping you or they only are lowering your bank account’’.
Give your nose some TLC
4. You should give your nose some TLC. What can ease stuffiness in your nose is saline solution (nasal spray or drops). In will help the mucus to move along because it will clear the passages and that way you are preventing damage to the tissue. The best thing about it is that it is 100% safe so feel free to use it whenever you need. You can go to the pharmacy and to buy saline rinse, but you can also prepare it at you home and you will need baking soda, pickling salt and boiled water.
Feed your cold
5. If you have a cold then it is of a big importance to have a healthy and well-balanced diet because it is a fact that the appetite is poor during cold or some similar illness. You should eat especially soups, and since your immunity is low, your diet should help you to boost it.
Gargle with salty water
6. If you have sore throat, then you should gargle with warm salted water. Half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water will do the trick. Do it on every few hours. Not only that it will solve the problem with sore throat in a very short period of time, it will protect you from further complications.
Hang out in humidity
7. There is not an actual way to kill the cold virus in your organism but you can certainly make it weaker. How? -With hanging out in humidity. Humidified air can help the collateral damage to heal faster. You can sit in a bathroom and have a steam bath, or you can use a vaporizer, but make sure it is cleaned well so you will be sure that you will not inhale bacteria or mold.
Get extra sleep
8. What can also be of a great help if you want to feel better from a cold in a no-time is a good night sleep. If you have a cold then the smartest thing to do is to actually get rest because that way you will allow and help your immune system to fight better against the virus.
Stamp out cigarettes
9. Another good reason to quit smoking. But if you tried to quit and you failed, then at least try not to smoke while you are sick. Your cold will last much longer if you are smoking because that way the respiratory system is irritated and the risk of other respiratory infections is then increased.
10. You should exercise regularly so you can prevent cold. But if you get the cold somehow, then it is not the smartest thing to go and workout while you are sick. First as we already mentioned, when you are sick you need to rest. Second, while you are sick your energy levels are low, so you will not be able to have intense exercising and you will be more prone to injury then.